Friday, November 16, 2012

365 Photo Project - October


October was a good month for photos and out and about activities.

My family visited, so that gave me a few more photo opportunities, and with fall Camera Day at World Bird Sanctuary more opportunities arouse.  Needless to say it was a month of a lot of photo editing.

I started off the month with a trip to the Butterfly House.  Taking only 300 photos made looking for just that right photo difficult, but I managed to find one in that trip that just stood out above all the others.  This month it is a black and white butterfly on pink flowers--a very simple photo, yet striking at the same time.

The next photo is from a second trip to the Butterfly House later in the month which produced another 250 photos.  This time my favorite photo was even harder to choose.  The photo I chose from this trip also stands out for the same reason--simple and striking and even pink flowers.  This time the butterfly is black and pink--absolutely beautiful.

The last photo I wish to share is from World Bird Sanctuary’s Camera day on October 28.  Schiller’s Camera & Video sponsored the event and had Nikon and Canon cameras and lenses for people to try while visiting.   Guests, volunteers and staff took advantage of this great opportunity.   I took advantage of this opportunity and tried a camera I have been looking at for the last 6 months.   I am really interested in the Nikon Coolpix P510.  It has a 42X zoom, which is equivalent to a 1000mm lens.  I took many great photos with this camera and there was one that stood out above all the rest.  I took a closeup of Xena, the Eurasian Eagle Owl.  This photo is a profile headshot and just makes the feathers and her eyes stand out.

At times choosing photos for this type of project is very difficult because I take so many fun photos; but as I look closer at them there are always a few that just start to stand out.  I hope everyone enjoys these photos. 

I have shared some of the really nice photos from Camera day on World Bird Sanctuary’s Facebook page.  I hope you like them as much as I enjoyed taking them.

Submitted by Cathy Spahn, World Bird Sanctuary Naturalist

No comments: